With effective flossing techniques, you can easily combat gum disease and tooth decay. Although food particles and plaque buildup can hide in areas that brushing cannot reach, floss has the ability to go between teeth and ensure all hidden recesses of your mouth can be cleaned. What’s more, flossing can also go beneath the gum line in many areas as well. For more helpful tips to ensure your smile gets the care it deserves, here are some flossing tips and tricks to tackle tooth decay:
– It is recommended by the American Dental Association to clean the areas between teeth at least once daily to remove food particles and plaque buildup that cannot be easily reached by brushing alone.
– Always use dental floss or an interdental cleaner that has been suggested by your dentist or one that has the ADA Seal of Acceptance.
– When flossing, never use the same strand of dental floss twice, as it can introduce harmful bacteria back into your mouth.
– To floss your entire mouth with one strand, opt for a piece at least 18 inches long, wrapped around a finger on each hand, with a new section of the strand being used between each tooth.
– Always use dental floss that is shred resistant, which is often the case for floss that uses single filament thread. Although multi-filament nylon thread is more likely to shred, it is just as effective at removing plaque and debris.
Be sure to visit our team at Miller & Simarro Dental Care in Antioch, California, at least twice a year for oral exams and professional cleanings. To schedule an appointment with one of our experienced dentists, Dr. Mark W. Miller and Dr. Ryan Simarro, please call 925-754-6020 today. Our team is here to help get you the smile you’ve always wanted!